Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Beer Blogging with the Adams Family

So I'm watching parts 1 and 2 of the HBO miniseries John Adams and I decided that I could not enjoy this momentous event with out the help of Mssr. Adams cousin, Sam Adams. I'm speaking of course, of his delicious beer. Tonight its Chicken Diavolo and Sam Adams beer. How could a Wednesday get any better?

Watching this movie, I find that I feel the weight on my own shoulders that these men must have felt. The question of independence that the Founding Fathers struggled with has never seemed so great a thing to me until now. These men were committing treason, by God. Do you remember learning about the Continental Congress in school as a youngster? I do. I was proud, but it didn't seem to be a big deal. I suppose, looking back, I probably thought that the Founding Fathers knew exactly what they were doing, and exactly what the outcome would be. After all, from my youthful perspective, America was the biggest, baddest country on the planet, and England was just a puny little island full of fairy tales.

The impassioned speech by Mr. Dickinson brings it home to me. I don't know who the actor is who is playing the part, but he is definately believable. You can hear in his voice the fear that all the men in that room must have shared. I mean, my God, England was the most powerful empire in the world and these feuding colonies who could barely get their act together were actually comtemplating givin King George and Parliament a big F*&% You! I'm actually moved to tears.

God Save the American States!
(and delicious Sam Adams beer!)

No comments: