Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Supremes May Have a Hit on Their Hands

I saw on Drudge that the Supremes are likely to uphold the notion that many Americans hold: that the right to keep and bear arms is in fact an individual right.

To me, this is like pointing out the turd in the punch bowl. A simple reading of the 2nd amendment covers both the individual right which shall not be infringed and the collective right of the militia. A five year old could figure this out.

I sincerely hope that the Supremes not only rule in favor of the 2nd amendment, but I also hope that they do so decisively. They should not leave a lot of leeway for governments to over-regulate sale and possession of firearms, much less an outright ban such as the one in D.C.

I believe that if the D.C. ban is overturned and law-abiding citizens are able to arm themselves, we will see a huge drop in crime in that most crime-ridden city that is the District of Columbia.

No comments: