Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Watching O'Reilley last night, he had a lady on that was the President of the American Atheists or some such club. I don't know what it was about, I was channel surfing.

But it struck me - these atheists are a weird bunch. I don't get it. How on Earth could a person actually believe that there is no God (or supreme being, or whatever)? How is this possible? How could a person really believe that this is all an accident?

I was talking to an ultra-liberal musician friend of mine once and we were discussing a mutual friend who was having some personal problems. The friend with the personal problems was raised Catholic and sent to parochial school. She told me more than once that she didn't believe in God. I mentioned this to the musician friend (assuming I would get hit with the relativism thing) and he said that not believing in God was nothing but an excuse. If there's no God, then there's no one to answer to for your actions. I was surprised to hear this from someone who is a borderline anarchist.

Truth is, I feel sorry for atheists. Deep down, they must be truly unhappy, even if they don't know it. Whatever your religion, most folks feel a deep sense of peace knowing that there's someone bigger guiding you. I wonder if atheists are that way because of their upbringing, or a rebellion of some sorts, or they really just naturally believe that there's nothing else out there.

No comments: