Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Jumping on the Virginia Tech Bandwagon

Many times, when I'm reading blogs, I don't post because everyone else is already posting, and I usually echo the sentiments of the blogs I read. Hmmm. Maybe I should read more leftie blogs and fire off a response post. But I just have to post something about the VA Tech murders after reading post after post and comment after comment.

Here is the article that Glenn Reynolds wrote in the NY Daily News (linked to from Instapundit) and here is the WSJ commentary from David Kopel (also from Instapundit). And lastly, from La Shawn Barber is this commentary.

All state the fundamental truth that when you ban guns, only criminals and those with criminal intent will have them, since breaking the law is requisite to criminality.

As for myself, although I'm not a handgun owner, I am a rifle and shotgun owner. I have seriously thought about purchasing a handgun since I live alone and I also travel alone (by car). One reason I've never purchased a handgun and gotten the CCL to go with it, is because I've been told that it's illegal to carry a loaded pistol across state lines. And that it is also illegal to have a loaded pistol in your vehicle, even while driving inside my state. I honestly do not know if these statements are accurate.

I will be finding out, though, as I will be purchasing a handgun forthwith and obtaining a CCL. In addition, I will be consciously breaking each and every law I can when I come near a sign that says "gun-free zone". I'll still be packing. And I'll happily pay the fine or sit my butt in jail if I get caught. Not only that, I'll be driving across state lines with my new friend without a second thought.

Why bother having a weapon to defend yourself if you're not allowed anywhere with it?

I suppose it's my version of civil disobedience.

No comments: